Apple Announces new M1 chip, and New Macs
- The new chips offer better battery life and up to 3 times the performance of “the best selling Windows laptop”
- Also the ability to run iPad and iPhone apps on a Mac, with Big Sur, coming tomorrow.
- Macs updated are the Macbook Air, the 13” Macbook Pro, and the Mac mini
- Not a lot differentiates the Macbook Air and Pro, they’re pretty much the same specs, but the Pro has a fan, which will allow more sustained high power performance.
- A fanless Air is the most compelling computer in the line up for me.
- Mac mini also updated – I’d expect new iMacs and 16” Pro in the new year
- One disappointment, both laptops still have the janky 720p Webcam, but Apple says the machine learning chip will improve performance.
- PC guy John Hodgman made a brief appearance
EU Accuses Amazon of Breaching AntiTrust Rules
- The EU files antitrust charges against Amazon, citing concerns over the company operating as both a marketplace and a retailer
- The EU has hit Amazon with formal antitrust charges over its treatment of the 150,000 European merchants selling goods through its website.
- Margrethe Vestager, who oversees the EU’s competition policy, outlined two sets of concerns against the world’s dominant online retailer. – Amazon has used non-public data from its website to advantage its own products & Amazon gives preferential treatment to marketplace sellers who pay for specific services
- After a year-long probe, the European Commission reached the preliminary view that Amazon breached EU competition rules by using non-public data it gathers on sales on its website to boost its own-label products and services.
Parler, a Right Wing Twitter Clone, has topped the App Store since election day
- It is currently the #1 free app in the iOS App Store, up from #1,023 on November 2nd. It’s also #1 in the Google Play rankings, up from #486 the previous week.
- The app has been downloaded approximately 3.6 million times in the US so far, per SensorTower.
Reviews of the PS5 are coming In
- And surprise! They read exactly like the Xbox Series X Reviews
- Much Better load times from a faster SSD
- Completely silent under load
- Where the consoles diverge:
- Reviewers miss the “quick resume” feature of the Xbox
- The dual shock controller is excellent, with some interesting new haptic features
- And Sony has one tentpole exclusive, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – which is getting universally good reviews – sitting on 85% on Metacritic
- The Verge has a good explainer on ray-tracing